1) Contrary to early 1900’s beliefs, current science shows that ingesting fluoride is ineffective at reducing tooth decay and harmful to health which makes fluoridation obsolete
1a) Sixty-five percent of US teens are afflicted with fluoride overdose symptoms - dental fluorosis (white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted teeth, according to US federal statistics. Yet, dental health is a crisis in the US, according to Senator Bernie Sanders
2) Fluoride is neither a nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth meaning consuming a fluoride-free diet does not cause tooth decay. Fluoride hardens teeth topically, not systemically, but only in high concentrations as in toothpaste (which carries a poison warning)
3) Hydrofluosilicic acid, the most used fluoridation chemical, is allowed to contain traces of toxic chemicals such as lead and arsenic which are never removed before adding to water supplies. Further, hydrofluosilicic acid was never safety tested in humans or animals.
4) Six Mother-Child studies link fluoride to offspring's ower IQ. Over 400 fluoride/neurotoxic studies (including 50+ human) support its biological plausibility Even the US EPA reports that fluoride is a chemical “with substantial evidence of developmental neurotoxicity."
5) Over 4800 science-citing professionals, including hundreds of MD's and dentists, signed a statement urging an end to fluoridation.
6) Tooth decay rates declined equally in fluoridated and non-fluoridated countries.
7) Tooth decay crises are occurring in all fluoridated cities, states and countries.
8) Fluoridation is an environmental injustice since low-income and minorities are most harmed and least helped by fluoride ingestion.
9) Fluoridation violates an individual’s right to informed consent to medication. EPA regulates fluoride in water as a contaminant and the FDA labels fluoride for ingestion an unapproved drug.
10) Routine mixing of infant formula with fluoridated water, raises the risk of children developing dental fluorosis.The American Dental Association advises users of liquid concentrate or powdered infant formula as the primary source of nutrition to mix it “with water that is fluoride free or contains low levels of fluoride to reduce the risk of fluorosis.”
11) “Existing data indicate that subsets of the population may be unusually susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride and its compounds. These populations include the elderly, people with deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, and/or vitamin C, and people with cardiovascular and kidney problems, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (1993; page 112). One to five percent of the population is hypersensitive to fluoride.