jpeg JUST US BOOKS, INC. jpeg

Premier Publisher of Multicultural Children's & YA Books  

"Good Books Make a Difference"           

jpeg

Cheryl & Wade Hudson

Founders of Just Us Books.

Just Us Books will officially celebrate its 25th Anniversary during the month of October, 2013. We will update our friends and supporters as plans for the celebration of this milestone are confirmed. Meanwhile, feel free to share your thoughts about the role Just Us Books has played and the impact it has had on the children's book publishing industry and in black communities. We'd love to hear from you! Share at justusbook@aol.com.

AT THE HARLEM BOOK FAIR YOUNG READER'S PAVILION

jpeg

Shirley Johnson, storyteller

jpeg

Eric Velasquez, illustrator and Cheryl Hudson, author, hold their collaboration, My Friend Maya Loves to Dance.

jpeg

Author Michelle R. Britto and Wade Hudson, author and publisher, Just Us Books.

jpeg

Artists Shadra Strickland, left,  and George Ford , Hannah Erhlich, center, and Keilin Huang of Lee & Low Books at multicultural publisher's booth. 

jpeg

Katura Hudson, marketing director, at the Just Us Books booth.

jpeg

Author Aminata Keita, from Boston, MA, reads from her book,Hands of Fate.

jpeg

OTHER NEWS

jpegKelly Starling Lyons, author of two titles published by Just Us Books, is the winner of a 2013  Phillis Wheatley Award. Kelly's title,Tea Cakes For Tosh, illustrated by E. B. Lewis, won in the Young Readers category.  Kelly is the author of  One Million Men and Me and NEATE Book 4: Eddie's Ordeal, published by Just Us Books.

Product Details

SHOWCASE_Shop-at-Just-Us-Books%2527s-Online-Store.jpg

Wade & Cheryl Hudson's

Upcoming  Schedule:

September 20, 21, Congressional Black Caucus Conference, Washington, DC

October 19, JUB 25th Anniversary Celebration

October 25, School visit, READY Academy, Norfolk, VA

October 26, AKA-Just Us Books Book Fair,  Portsmouth, VA

December 14, NJPAC Kwanzaa Festival, Newark, NJ

MAIL THIS TO A FRIEND

HARLEM BOOK FAIR

A BIG SUCCESS

The weekend of July 19 marked the 15th anniversary of the Harlem Book Fair. And what a weekend it was. The Phillis Wheatley Awards ceremony held at the Schomburg Center kicked off the weekend.   Awards were presented in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, young adult and young reader categories. Saturday, July 20 featured an afternoon outdoor celebration of books from exhibiting publishers and book stores, authors reading and signings their books,  on-stage presentations of music and spoken word, panel discussions, workshops, music and food.

Just Us Books coordinated  the Young Readers Pavilion which featured outstanding authors and artists of books for children and young adults, including Eric Velasquez, George Ford, Shadra Strickland, Torrey Maldonado, Jerry Craft, Teresa Ann Willis, Patrick Oliver and Michele R. Britto.

Kudos to Max Rodriquez and the Harlem Book Fair staff. Happy 15th!!

For a list of Phillis Wheatley Award winners, visithttp://aalbc.com/books/wheatley-award-winners-2013.html.

Under the tent at the Young Readers Pavilion.

jpeg

Torrey Maldonado, author of Secret Saturdays, reads from his book.

A CHAT WITH CELEBRATED

ILLUSTRATOR GEORGE FORD

GEORGE FORD's career as an artist/illustrator spans more than forty five years, and includes the period of the sixties and seventies when work for African-American artists and writers in children's book publishing was virtually nil. George's tenacity, dedication and sense of mission, along with a few others, helped to foster some changes in the industry, although the struggle for inclusion and diversity, even in 2013, still goes on. 

George is the first recipient of the Coretta Scott  King Award for Illustration for the book Ray Charles, and he has illustrated more than thirty books for children, including Bright Eyes, Brown Skin andJamal's Busy Day, both published by Just Us Books. We had an opportunity to chat with the veteran artist recently about his journey as an illustrator and the current state of children's book publishing. 

Q. George, you are one of the trailblazers of multicultural and black children’s book publishing. Your career and your legacy in the industry cover more than 45 years. What are some of the high points of your distinguished career?

Receiving the first Coretta Scott King Award in 1974 for the illustrations in Ray Charles. The awards ceremony was in New York and my parents and sister were able to come. I considered the Coretta Scott King Award more important than the Caldecott because it is given for artwork of inspirational value to black children. It was the first award for black illustrators, and it was needed. Another high point was discovering that Just Us Books was doing what I wanted to see done. I felt exhilarated at the prospect of working with the first company doing books for black children as their primary mission.  

jpeg

George Ford at the Harlem Book Fair.

Q. When you first started your career, getting assignments to illustrate children’s books had to be extremely challenging. What was it like at that time?

Coming out of art school, it was generally agreed that there was no outlet for black artists; there was unfair discrimination. My own instructors said as much. There were no books about black children, or hardly any, so there was no great incentive for a black artist to aspire to an art career. But I actually found that there were talented black people who were working in the commercial art field, working on subjects that did not depict black life. I worked in greeting cards and others did record covers or illustrated for magazines like The Reporter and Look, or illustrations for advertisements, not necessarily for black products but advertisements for national brands. The Civil Rights Movement fueled the expression of black identity and things slowly began to change. For me it was more important to be a black artist than just an artist.

Q. How were you able to overcome the discrimination and Ivory Tower mentality of publishing to find work, at least some work, in the industry?

Parents and librarians wanted more black books for children. People were demanding material and demanding authenticity; not the stereotypes prevalent in society. Now the publishers needed black illustrators; it was more difficult for them to deny an authentic black voice.

Q. As you know, the number of books published and the amount of work available for artists and writers of color ebbs and flows. Even during the good times the number of books written and/or illustrated by people of color is far fewer than their percentage of our nation’s population.  Do you see it changing any time soon?

If it’s going to change, our young people need to make it happen. We need to foster more creative expression among our young people. We need to reverse the current trend of demonizing and marginalizing black youth. We need more action by black people. We must renew the push for more workers in the industry. We need more black publishing companies for children, like Just Us Books, and more young people willing to dedicate themselves to making change happen.  

Q. Is there any advice you would like to share with aspiring artists looking to get into the children’s book industry?

What I say to every aspiring artist I talk to is, be a reader; make yourself aware of which publishers are doing the kinds of books you would like to see. Different publishers do different styles of books. If no one is doing what you want to see done, that is no reason to abandon your passion, your style, or your interest. Your true value as an artist is in the unique quality of your work. But your work has to be seen by art directors and editors so you need to get polished and make the rounds. Maybe you will be the one to bring what you want to see to the publisher who isn’t doing it yet.

Share the Stories with Wade and Cheryl Hudson

Meeting the authors and illustrators who create their favorite books can be an exciting experience for children and adults alike. Many Just Us Books authors and illustrators are available for school visits, workshops, panels and other special events that help make books come alive.
 img%20onload=

With dual roles as publishers and authors, Wade and Cheryl Hudson offer unique perspectives into the world of children’s literature, education, diversity, publishing and entrepreneurship. Their expertise spans many areas, including: The ABCs of Children's Book Publishing, Creative Children's Book Writing, Marketing and Distribution, Building a Curriculum of Diversity, Multicultural Children’s Book Publishing, Building a Business and Marketing to an Under-Served or Niche Market.

To arrange a school visit, community event or speaking engagement, please contact Katura Hudson @ katura_hudson@justusbooks.com or call (973) 672-7701.

http://www.justusbooksonlinestore.com

http://justusbooks.com

You need to be a member of TheBlackList Pub to add comments!

Join TheBlackList Pub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –
https://theblacklist.net/