NYMetro
Services held this week for the 4th Amendment: Rest in PeaceEven thought the 4th Amendment was 216 years old, it died a violent and untimely death. Locally Philly may seem like the killing fields, but this killing is far more important than any other deathhappening in the last few years or so maybe ever. - rmship

Now, with the new law granting immunity to telecom companies and granting the federal government wide discretionary powers in spying on our communications (which has become far simpler in this electronic day and age), the Imperial rubber stamp arm of the federal government has brutally murdered another of our precious rights: the 4th Amendment which states: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."-- Glenn Greenwald"What the Democrats did today in Washington is nothing short of treason. ... More than ever, America needs an opposition party!" -- Cynthia McKinney statement over the phone issued Friday evening, June 20 (a full statement from Sister McKinney, presidential candidate of the Power to the People campaign, will be available first thing in the morning on June 21 -- Alan B.) http://www.runcynthiarun.orgIt was time to take a stand during this 4th Amendment killing. Some thought if Obama remains missing much longer, it may be necessary to issue an Amber Alert for him, in regards to showing leadership, by rallying his team to kill this bill. Some 40 lawsuits have been filed against the telecommunications companies by groups and individuals who say the Bush administration illegally monitored their phone calls or e-mails."The White House got a better deal they even they had hoped to get." The administration should know better by now than to underestimate the complete cravenness and eagerness to please the White House on the part of Congressional Democrats.-- Glenn GreenwaldThis bill allows for mass and untargeted surveillance of Americans' communications.So basically, one day in the near future, we're all going to learn that one of our federal courts dismissed all of the lawsuits against the telecoms. But we're never going to be able to know why the lawsuits were dismissed or what documents were given by the Government to force the court to dismiss the lawsuits. Not only won't we, the public, know that, neither will the plaintiffs' lawyers. Nobody will know except the Judge and the Government because it will all be shrouded in compelled secrecy, and the Judge will be barred by this law from describing or even referencing the grounds for dismissal in any way. Freedom is on the march.Statement from Cindy Sheehan, Independent Candidate for U.S. Congress in Nancy Pelosi's District of San FranciscoWe are calling on a non-partisan group to march with us on Tuesday, June 24th in a "Funeral for the 4th Amendment"As you know, Congress killed the 4th amendment today and we need to raise our voices loudly against this clear violation of the rule of law (again).-- Cindy Sheehanhttp://www.cindyforcongress.orgMany compared the bill to the era of former FBI head J. Edgar Hoover. "We already remember how Dr. [Martin Luther] King and his family were the victims of the government's most shameless wiretapping. We must never go down this road again."The roll call vote is here. Of the Republicans: 188 voted YES, and a grand total of 1 -- a single lone soul (Rep. Tim Johnson of Illinois) -- voted NO (Ron Paul wasn't present). For the Democrats: 105 voted YES and 128 voted NO.The Democrats voting YES included all of our current targets -- Hoyer, Barrow and Carney -- as well as Pelosi, Hoyer, Emanuel and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Silvestre Reyes. Voting NO -- to their credit -- were Democratic Senate candidates Rep. Tom Allen (Maine) and Rep. Tom Udall (New Mexico).Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers also voted NO, along with most of the Congressional Black Caucus. That's not hard to understand why. As Rep. Barbara Lee said today:"This bill scares me to death and I urge a no-vote," said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), co-chair of the House's Progressive Caucus."A final deal has been reached" on FISA and telecom amnesty " I've now just read a copy of the final "compromise" bill. It's even worse than expected. When you read it, it's actually hard to believe that the Congress is about to make this into our law. Then again, this is the same Congress that abolished habeas corpus with the Military Commissions Act, and legalized George Bush's warrantless eavesdropping program with the "Protect America Act," so it shouldn't be hard to believe at all. Seeing the words in print, though, adds a new dimension to appreciating just how corrupt and repugnant this is.-- Glenn GreenwaldThe provision granting amnesty to lawbreaking telecoms, Title VIII, has the exact Orwellian title it should have: "Protection of Persons Assisting the Government." Section 802(a) provides:[A] civil action may not lie or be maintained in a Federal or State court against any person for providing assistance to an element of the intelligence community, and shall be properly dismissed, if the Attorney General certifies to the district court of the United States in which such action is pending that . . . (4) the assistance alleged to have been provided . . . was --(A) in connection with intelligence activity involving communications that was (i) authorized by the President during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and ending on January 17, 2007 and (ii) designed to prevent or detect a terrorist attack, or activities in preparation of a terrorist attack, against the United States" and(B) the subject of a written request or directive . . . indicating that the activity was (i) authorized by the President; and (ii) determined to be lawful.So all the Attorney General has to do is recite those magic words -- the President requested this eavesdropping and did it in order to save us from the Terrorists -- and the minute he utters those words, the courts are required to dismiss the lawsuits against the telecoms, no matter how illegal their behavior was.Bill of Rights http://www.billofrights.com/bill_of_rights.htmThis bill allows for mass and untargeted surveillance of Americans' communications. The court review is mere window-dressing -- all the court would look at is the procedures for the year-long dragnet and not at the who, what and why of the spying. Even this superficial court review has a gaping loophole -- "exigent" circumstances can short cut even this perfunctory oversight since any delay in the onset of spying meets the test and by definition going to the court would cause at least a minimal pause. Worse yet, if the court denies an order for any reason, the government is allowed to continue surveillance throughout the appeals process, thereby rendering the role of the judiciary meaningless. In the end, there is no one to answer to; a court review without power is no court review at all.Meanwhile, had anyone seen Barack Obama?The two presumptive presidential nominees have differed over the issue. A senior aide to Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., recently indicated the senator would support granting immunity to the phone companies. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.., was among the most vocal opponents of immunity in the Senate debate last year.Great Bipartisan Compromises of the Bush era and demonstrated that they are characterized by one common attribute: namely, they are supported by almost all Republicans and then enough Democrats from a split caucus to ensure its passage.But more importantly, "bipartisanship" is already rampant in Washington, not rare. And, in almost every significant case, what "bipartisanship" means in Washington is that enough Democrats join with all of the Republicans to endorse and enact into law Republican policies, with which most Democratic voters disagree. That's how so-called "bipartisanship" manifests in almost every case.When the Congress was controlled by Bill Frist and Denny Hastert, the administration tried to get a bill passed legalizing warrantless eavesdropping and telecom amnesty, but was unable. They had to wait until the Congress was controlled by Steny Hoyer, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid to accomplish that.###Every day it become clear to me (IMHO), why independent communication sites like the Philadelphia Independent Media http://phillyimc.org/ are so valuable. Although we are not alone in these efforts but our editorial team works tirelessly from their hearts and soul to keep the site operational and as current as possible.We must continue to keep a watchful eye from here in the cradle of liberty, the City of Brotherly Love, to keep the community in the fight for democracy, human rights, and social justice. Reading those articles made me so mad at the time I slammed my clenched fist on the kitchen table. Above I have gathered, Excerpts from resources across the nation – Bob Shipman

You need to be a member of TheBlackList Pub to add comments!

Join TheBlackList Pub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NYMetro
    Em Htp! Greetings!

Since "Breathing While Black" has been, first an enslave-able and subsequently an openly imprison-able, evolving into the current totally justifiable killing offense, it seems of no consequence that the 4th amendment is now candidly emasculated. . . . It appears that ytie is simply alerting his own kind that 'Big Brother Is Watching' as our people learned that in the '60s.

Looking 4ward 2 true nation building with you,
    S.U.R.-B.E.T.
    • NYMetro
      Thank you! Many folk have forgot or was to young to remember those times.
  • DMV
    Bob, Thanks for your postings. In respect to the 4th amendment, The Reparations Movement is not a clandestine movement to over throw the goverment. We must keep the demand for reparations in our hearts and mind at all time and let them record that as much as they want.

By the way below is my recent commentary published in the Sunday Philadelphia Tribune, Comentary Page 6A, June 8, 2008:
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Obama, change, reparations, will make America better
    By Minister Ari S. Merretazon, M.S.CED, Board Member, Northeast Representative, National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America (N’COBRA)

If you missed it last year, word on the street has it that when U.S. Senator Barack Obama is elected as President of the United States a reparations accord for Blacks in America will be reached under collaborative efforts including, amongst others, U.S. Congressman John Conyers and the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America (N’CORBA). Here is why I believe this.

With direct action campaigns, education campaigns, financial divestment campaigns, town hall meetings and congressional hearings, resulting in public interest conversion, chattel enslavement will be acknowledged publicly as crimes against humanity, in another word, a holocaust. I use the word holocaust as Dr. Mualana Karenga, the founder of Kwanzaa, defines it: “a morally monstrous act of genocide that is not only against the people themselves, but also a crime against humanity.” The holocaust of enslavement expresses itself in three basic ways: “the morally monstrous destruction of human life, human culture and human possibility.”

The election of Barack Obama will increase the likelihood of HR 40, the Congressional study to determine the impact of fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery on Blacks in America, will be passed. This will form the basis of a reparations accord for Blacks in America. When HR40 is passed and sent to the President’s office, President Obama will sign it.

If the reader says, “no way, this will never happen, and that the “enslavement process of Blacks was so long, long ago,” and therefore, “Blacks should get over it, deal with it, and move on,” you should consider the math which Ezrah Aharone presents in his book Pawned Sovereignty. He uses America’s official version of history that enslavement of Africans in America began in 1619 and was abolished in 1865.

“Blacks spent 246 years in captivity. Since it is now 2008, blacks have been so-called “free” for only 143 years.” This means that 100 years of so-called “freedom” (1865-1965) were spent self-repairing the damage wrought by chattel enslavement. Even today, Blacks as a group, are still economically impacted by the vestiges of chattel slavery and are still seeking recognition as equal humans.

So, of the 389 years in America, Blacks have been out of enslavement and segregation for only 43 years! An educated society will understand that during the 100 years from the Emancipation Proclamation to the Civil Rights Act of 1965, crimes against humanity were covered-up and generations mis-educated. This cover up was known as the “code of silence” or “no talk rule” put in effect by James DeWolf, Bristol, Rhode Island, the largest slave trader in US history.

For these reasons and more, the issue is no longer should reparations be paid to Blacks, but what should be the elements of the reparations accord. This will be the “take away” for those attending the 2008 Annual Conference of the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America June 27-29, in Miami, Florida, Florida International University. Obama, change, and the reparations movement is about making America better. Yes we can!
    --
    Minister Ari S. Merretazon, M.S.CED
    N'COBRA Board Member
    Northeast Regional Representative
    Co-Chair, Case Against Wachovia Committee
    Member, Philadelphia Chapter
    ncobraphiladelphia@comcast.net
    www.ncobraphiladelphia.org
    Black people, never forget, 1) reparations are the cross-road solution to our human capital development," and 2) reparations are ways and means; the really real reality of infrastructure development comes with The Reparations Accord for Blacks in America that coordinates the implementation of the many ways and means of repairing the damage." Merretazon, 2008
    want.by Выставлен на продажу
    Hostfly
    • NYMetro
      Rushing to a fro, at the moment, I want to sit and savor this piece of work! Lets stay connected, I need this, blood transfusion and mentors hip. keep up the pressure, I know I need it.
  • West
    In the Name of Allah

As-Salaam Alaikum,

Let's be clear. When it comes to the freed-slaves of America (Black Nation) old
    song lyric says it best: "you know you can't miss what you NEVER had!" We've
    has a "hope" and a "promise" that have not, in fact, been materilized

In my view, nullification of any one part of the law nullifies ALL of the law! Denial
    of Hunman Rights to one is denial to all! The Black Nation is the power to give
    ourselves Justice...not just wait on someone else to deliver to us that which is our
    Divine Right and free to all!

As-Salaam Alaikum,
    HTS
    • NYMetro
      ummm, keep it coming Sista, well said, i too need constant education, i am ready! The saying applies to me at this moment. When the student is ready the teacher will appear, thank you again Sista Teacher.
  • NYMetro
    Word is they been doing it, will continue doing it. And was gonna do it legal or not. J. Edger Hover, Reagan, Nixon don't clap to hard
This reply was deleted.
https://theblacklist.net/