Walter-G.-Sellers.jpg

Community leader dies ELIZABETH STUDEBAKER Feature Writer Anytime you spoke with anyone about Walter G. Sellers, this is what you usually heard: he was a gentleman dedicated to service, a born leader and a true friend. He was “gifted with giving.” Walt, as he was known by the legion of friends he leaves behind to mourn his passing, succumbed to cancer at the age of 81 at Hospice of Dayton early Monday morning. His life was filled with challenges, setbacks and opportunities. Some of his greatest contributions to the Wilberforce and Xenia communities – and yes, to the world – evolved from his membership in the Kiwanis Club of Xenia. From the time he joined the club in the late 1960’s he proved his worth, ascending to the highest office in the organization – International President in 1997-1998. Throughout his life, he adhered to the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” John Balmer, Xenia Kiwanis secretary/member for decades, knew him well! John remarked, “He was the best kind of friend a person could have.” Their colleague David Mathias, retired Greene County insurance executive now residing in Whispering Pines, NC, said, “Walt was a mentor to both my wife Sharon and myself. He taught us the virtue of community service and the benefits that come from serving others. Our relationship was both personal and open. “ Continuing, the former Xenian, added, “There were times we laughed as well as cried, but Walter always had time to put his arm around me and tell me how well I was doing. “ “Because of Walter’s commitment to Xenia, Ohio, our country and worldwide, communities and their youth have a better place to live and prosper. Our thoughts and prayers are with Irene and family. My friend will be missed but never forgotten.” One afternoon more than 35 years ago, while sitting in the office of Dr. Harry Johns on the campus of Central State University, they noted there were no afro-American members in any Xenia service club. To serve their community, they decided to join the service organizations. Dr. Johns decided to join Rotary because he already knew about that club, having served as a waiter at their meetings while he was in high school. Walt joined Rotary and eventually became international president. They weren’t biologically related, but really were “blood brothers.” They were best man at each other’s wedding. Born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1927, his life was far from stable, moving from place to place, from relative to relative. He lived in New York, Georgia, New Jersey and mostly in Ann Arbor. At an early age, this future All-American football player and dyed-in-the-wool University of Michigan gridiron fan developed his lifelong love of sports. He played them all … how he did love those Wolverines! During his adolescence, Walter’s natural leadership ability, outgoing personality and taste for politics became apparent. In 1944 he joined the Navy. The 17-year-old left behind his promising football career and entered a world he had never known: the ugly realm of racism. In fact, he was to become a pioneer for civil rights in Xenia. Until he came to Wilberforce to visit Wilberforce Academy, a high school on the university campus of the same name, he had never seen Afro-Americans in positions of leadership as those at the academy and nearby Central State. Both had primarily black students and faculty. After that first visit, in 1946, he decided to enroll in the Academy and Wilberforce was to become a place where he would spend the rest of his life. Walt’s career in alumni affairs and as special assistant to the president at CSU extended for 38 years under six presidents. At the time of his retirement in late 1989, Walt was presented with an honorary doctorate of humane letters. The university’s alumni relations center bears his name. Through the years, Walt grew more and more involved in community affairs. He served on a number of civic, philanthropic, and professional boards, most notably as the first black president of the Xenia City Schools Board of Education and as president of the Ohio School Boards Association. And his support of Xenia’s elderly residents led to a senior citizens apartment complex named after him. Walt once said, “I saw a lot of things in the community when I first came to the area that I felt were wrong.” “So when you have the opportunity to make a contribution, to ease some situations, or to bring about a new thinking process, I think the best way to do it is around the table and not through confrontation.” In most of this loving husband, father and grandfather’s endeavors you’ll find his wife, his soulmate Irene at his side. Both Walt and Irene are past presidents of the Xenia Kiwanis Club. Office of Alumni Relations Central State University 1400 Brush Row Road P.O. Box 1004 Wilberforce, OH 45384 FOR GOD, FOR CENTRAL, FOR STATE

You need to be a member of TheBlackList Pub to add comments!

Join TheBlackList Pub

Email me when people reply –
https://theblacklist.net/